Have you ever been confused, frustrated, and overwhelmed when it comes to nutrition? If so, you’re definitely not alone!
Nutrition is a very wide, changing, and opinionated topic. There are a million different ways to approach nutrition. This can make nutrition difficult and overwhelming because we don’t know where to start.
When it comes to nutrition, often the best approach is to keep it simple and focus on the basics. So if you’re wonderinf what your diet should look like, here are 5 rules for good nutrition. These rules are simple, but you’ll get the best results.
Rule #1: Eat Every Few Hours or When You are Hungry
Eating moderate amounts often help keep your hunger and cravings in check. Eat when you are HUNGRY, not STARVING.truCONTROL™ does an excellent job of reducing your appetite, but that doesn’t mean you should go all day without eating! If you’re one of those people who forget to eat, bring healthy snacks with you in the car during busy days, set reminders if you tend to forget to eat so you can avoid overeating later.
Of course what you eat still matters. You can’t eat a cupcake every few hours and expect to get stellar results!
Rule #2: Eat Protein with Every Meal
Protein is arguably the most important macronutrient, by macronutrient I mean protein, carbs, and fats.
Why is protein so important? Protein is broken down into amino acids in the body. We use these amino acids for nearly every function in our body-from creating hormones to rebuilding tissue.
Eating a sufficient amount of protein also helps you stay full because protein activates satiety hormone release. (The hormones that make you feel full and satisfied.)
Protein can even help with building lean muscle, healthy skin, hair, and nails.
Aim for about one fist size of protein each meal. Or about 15-20g for ladies and 20-30g for men. If your goal is to put on muscle, protein intake will be more.
Rule # 3: Eat Fruit & Veggies with Every Meal
This is a difficult rule to follow, but so important for good health! Fresh fruit and veggies contain essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that the body needs to function properly. These plants also contain fiber, which adds bulk to the diet, keep us full, and keeps our hearts healthy.
Aim for whole varieties of fruits and veggies (applesauce is ok, but a whole apple is best) and especially aim to eat green leafy veggies EVERY DAY. You don’t have to force yourself to eat fruits and veggies you hate, but do your best to get a wide variety!
Rule #4: Limit Processed Sugar
When I talk about processed sugar, I mean the kind found in baked, packaged and canned goods, dressings, many types of condiments and soda. NOT the natural sugar in whole fruit.The recommendations for added sugar intake is:Men: No more than 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons)
Women: No more than 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons)To give you an idea, one can of Coke has 39g of sugar or 9.5 teaspoons. Three regular Oreos has 14g of sugar or 3.5 teaspoons. Added sugar adds up really quick so just become more aware by checking labels.
Sugar also likes to hide in some places you might not expect and the food industry is really good at disguising it.
Rule #5: Eat Healthy Fats Every Day
Hopefully, by now, we all know we don’t need to be afraid or avoid fats. They are essential for a healthy body and even for some vitamin absorption!
A common recommendation is about 25-35% of your daily calories should come from healthy fats. This could be higher if you are following a keto diet.
You could break this up further and make sure ⅓ of your fats are saturated, ⅓ are monounsaturated, and ⅓ are polyunsaturated. Do your best to avoid trans fat or hydrogenated fats.
BALANCE is the key word to remember when it comes to the types of fat to eat. Even too much of a “Good” fat could lead to problems.
My goal with these rules isn’t to cause stress or make you feel like you have to completely eliminate anything from your diet. When it comes to nutrition, it’s really all about balance! You can still enjoy treats and foods you love, just do so in moderation.Try following the 80/20 rule. Try to follow these nutrition rules and eat your best 80% of the time but leave room for error and enjoying yourself the other 20%. That’s how you create a lifestyle that sticks, not another diet you just can’t wait to ”end”.
Luckily TruVision Health has some amazing products to make finding this balance and nutrition thing a little bit easier!
- rePlace – a healthy meal replacement you can customize with added veggies, fruit, or enjoy on its own.
- HEART + HYDRATION™ – Keep you hydrated and your sugar cravings in check. A great replacement for sports drinks, soda, and juices that are typically loaded with sugar.
- truFIX and truCONTROl™ -blood chemistry management, energy, and appetite control. Huge help for getting your cravings and hunger under control. Hunger is probably the BIGGEST barrier to weight loss.